Thursday, April 3, 2014

Minor Burge Hupp (1836-1892)

Portrait courtesy of the Kansas Memory website.

    A one term member of the Kansas State House of Representatives, Minor Burge Hupp was a native of the Buckeye State, being born in Monroe County, Ohio on January 26, 1836, the firstborn son of Phillip and Miranda Burge Hupp. His childhood was spent in Ohio and in 1843 removed with his parents to Iowa, eventually settling in Iowa City. The family relocated to Kansas in the early 1850s and Minor married here in January 1856 to Margaret Eagon (died 1880), later having a family that consisted of several children, including: Henry (died in infancy in 1857), Phillip T. (died aged 3 years in 1861), John Minor (1861-1953), William W. (born 1865), Howard E. (born 1867), James Minor (1869-1939) and an infant child who died in 1863.
   During the Civil War Minor Hupp joined the Union Army, enlisting as a private in Co. A of the Kansas Calvary's Ninth Regiment. He was later promoted to lieutenant, serving under the command of Col. Marshall M. Murdock (1837-1908) and participated in the Price Raid with Co. B of the Kansas Calvary. 
   Following his return from military service, Hupp settled in Osage County and in the 1868 election year won a seat as one of Osage County's representatives in the Kansas Legislature, serving during the 1869-70 term. Hupp left the state house after one term and later removed back to Iowa, and would later resettle again, this time in Omaha. In the 1880s he returned to Kansas, only to remove a few years later, settling in Joplin, Missouri in the year before his death. 
   Minor B. Hupp resided in Joplin until his unexpected death on April 27, 1892. As the Wichita Daily Eagle reported in his obituary (published the day following his death), Hupp had gone into downtown Joplin to undergo an examination for a pension claim for his war service, visiting the office of a Dr. Minnick. Following the examination Hupp left the office and entered an elevator, "seeming quite weak" and after taking a seat was joined by a woman with a dog. At some point, after the elevator began moving the dog jumped from the woman's arms, causing Hupp to make a grabbing motion to catch the dog. As he did so, he suffered an attack of some sort and fell to the floor of the elevator. Seeing the stricken man, the elevator operator reversed movement and returned to the floor on which Dr. Minnick's office was located, and Hupp was later carried from the elevator to the doctor's office, where he was diagnosed with a heart ailment. Hupp was later taken to the first floor of the building but expired before more help could arrive.
    A few days after his death Minor Burge Hupp was returned to Kansas for burial at the Maple Grove Cemetery in Wichita. He was later memorialized in his Daily Eagle obituary as:
"A well educated man of strong chartcter (sic) and strict integrity and his voice was often heard in defense of  the principles he held dear."
Hupp's obituary from the Wichita Daily Eagle, April 28, 1892.

No comments:

Post a Comment